If I had to pick only 1 beauty product to use for the rest of my life, I would pick lip color. I am a total lipstick junkie – bullets, liquids, stains, gloss. So, the idea of a new formula is really enticing to me! Plus, I love testing weird beauty products….putty highlighter, press on eye shadows? Sign me up!
So you can understand my excitement when Daisy Skinfix sent me Urban Look’s Lip Zzang to try!
What is it?
A powder lipstick that transforms from a powder to a matte, long wearing lip tint on application.
It is available in 3 shades and retails for INR 560 for 3.5 ml of product. The shade I’ll be reviewing today is 01 Wavering Deep Rose.
How do you apply this thing?
I dragged the applicator across my lips, like I would with liquid lipstick. It created a cooling sensation that melted the powder to a super light-weight and opaque coat of color. What kind of sorcery is this?! It blends easily, so you can sheer it out or build it up.
Wavering Deep Rose is a BEAUTIFUL brown red that will look flattering on a wide range of skin tones. It took me 2 swipes to get full opacity on my pigmented lips. It is heavily pigmented but not bright or loud, this means I can wear it bare faced without any base makeup.
Since you can also use it as a cheek stain, I dabbed the powder onto the apples of my cheeks using my fingers. It was very easy to work with, and dried down to a matte finish in a few seconds.
Here is a picture of my bare lips, and the lip zzang 2 and 6 hours after application.
Scent & Taste:
No scent, but has the same chemically taste as Peri Pera’s Ink Velvet (which is my favourite lip stain line, btw)
Texture & Formula:
The texture is super light-weight once applied, the powdery feeling goes away instantly. It dried down matte, but I couldn’t feel it on my lips at all. A little bit goes a long way - when I applied too much product, the powdery feeling lingered for about a minute (similar to flaky liquid lipstick).
The Lip Zzang comes in a cylindrical, transparent, plastic component with a doe-foot applicator that allows precise application. I’m low-key disappointed, I was expecting something cute like the Peri Pera packaging.
I did not know how much product I needed, so when I wiped the wand on the rim (like with liquid lipstick) and there was some spillage. There is definitely a bit of a learning curve here, the safest way to do this is to ensure the applicator is still inside the tube completely and wriggle it side to side to get rid of excess powder.
Staying Power & Ease of Reapplication:
- Until it dries down to a stain, the colour is not completely transfer proof but it is drink and smear proof.
- I’m a compulsive licker, but the stain it left behind lasted an impressive 8 hours on me despite lunch and several drinks. However, removal was a breeze...one swipe with micellar water got it all off.
- As with every lip stain I’ve tried, it did settle into my lip lines by the end of the day. I can live with this, because the reapplication is easy and it does not go on patchy.
- Very flattering shade
- Endearingly long wearing
- Not drying, looks and feels light-weight
- It’s fun! I quite like the cooling sensation
- Bit of a learning curve with the amount of product required (I mostly apply my lip colour on the go and I’d hate to stain my clothes).
I’m on the fence, honestly. If you can remember not to wipe the wand on the rim, then the Lip Zzang is definitely a solid product, not a gimmick. Or else, Peri Pera’s Peri Ink Velvet is a safe bet!